The Collision of Chaos and Clarity: Why I’m Choosing Wisdom Over Venting
They say that the best stories start with a plan that goes sideways
Yesterday—Wednesday, March 18, 2026—had all the hallmarks of a perfectly ordinary, uncomfortably hot San Francisco day. The sun was out, work was humming along in that steady, predictable rhythm, and I was counting down the minutes until the 3:00 PM "second shift": the beautiful, chaotic onslaught of school pickups, sports gear, and snacks.
For weeks, I’ve been ruminating on starting this blog. I had two working titles in my head: “What Grinds My Gears” (a place to vent about life’s friction) or “Mom Wisdom” (a place to share the hard-won lessons of parenthood).
By 4:15 PM on 19th Avenue, the universe made the decision for me.
The Incident
It started with the routine. Pick up my seven-year-old, grab her friend, and head to baseball practice. Because 19th Avenue is a notorious gauntlet during rush hour, I made a split-second decision to park on a quieter side street.
We were on the field. Eleven kids, two dads coaching, and two moms catching up. Another team was practicing soccer on the other side of the field. It was peaceful until the sound hit us—that unmistakable, sickening crunch of metal on metal and tires screeching from the main road.
I looked up to see a car jumping out of its parked spot. Then the realization hit like a physical weight: “Wait, that’s my friend’s car.”
Adrenaline is a strange thing. One moment I was standing still; the next, I was in a full uphill sprint toward the chain-link fence. Other parents joined the surge. When I reached the scene, the chaos was palpable: a dead SUV in the middle of rush hour traffic, a 95-year-old driver disoriented but miraculously unhurt, and my friend emerging unharmed from what I thought was the "impact zone."
The Power of the Pivot
In the thirty minutes that followed, I watched a community manifest out of thin air.
A soccer coach appeared with orange cones.
Unknown parents stepped into the road to direct traffic.
We tried to push the car, only to hear the transmission give way.
The rest of the parents continued to engage the kids on the field to keep them away from the mayhem.
While the paramedics and police took over the logistics, I had a different job: The Kids.
I headed back to the field where four seven-year-olds were watching the flashing lights with wide eyes. This is where the "Mom Wisdom" kicked in. I didn’t give them the play-by-play of the wreckage. I gave them a distraction. I gave them snacks.
Later that evening, the adrenaline faded into a quiet froyo date with my friend. We sat outside, safe, reflecting on how quickly a "nothing" Wednesday can turn into an "everything" moment.
Mom Wisdom: Lessons from the Roadside
I realized then that "What Grinds My Gears" is easy. It’s easy to be annoyed by a 95-year-old driver who probably shouldn't be behind the wheel. It’s much harder—and much more valuable—to distill the wisdom from the wreckage.
Here is what yesterday taught me:
The "Visual Confirmation" Rule: When a parent is in an accident, kids need to see them "okay" with their own eyes before they process the details. We kept the kids away from the scene until the friend was standing in front of them, smiling.
The Snack Strategy: Food is the ultimate unifier and distractor. Keep a "crisis stash" of snacks in your car. It’s okay if it ruins dinner; some days, emotional regulation is more important than vegetables.
Kids are Perceptive Mirrors: Even at seven, they read your tone better than your words. If you stay grounded, they stay grounded.
The Safety of Being "ON": Here is a technical nugget I learned yesterday: The safest car is a car that is fully on. Most modern airbag sensors and safety systems only remain active when the ignition is in the "On" position. If you are sitting in a parked car on a busy street, keeping the car running (or in "ready" mode for EVs) ensures your safety systems are actually standing guard.
I’m starting this blog because life is unpredictable, the streets are busy, and we’re all just trying to get our kids to activities in one piece. I want to share the "Mom Wisdom" that helps us navigate the sprints, the crashes, and the quiet froyo moments in between.
Thanks for sticking with me through this long first post. I’m glad you’re here.
Next Up: Kids love sharing their Germs—let’s talk about navigating the "Sick House" without losing your mind.
Comments
Post a Comment